turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shea2k

What if I filed my taxes by April 15th but forgot to make my retirement contribution into my solo k plan? Can i still contribute what I reported on my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

What if I filed my taxes by April 15th but forgot to make my retirement contribution into my solo k plan? Can i still contribute what I reported on my return?

Unless you requested a filing extension by April 15, you cannot make a solo 401(k) contribution for 2018 after April 15, 2019.

Assuming that you did not request a filing extension, you must amend your 2018 tax return to remove the self-employed retirement contribution that you did not make and pay the additional taxes that result from the removal of this deduction.

There can also be other potential side effects that result from the increase in AGI.  In particular, if you made any Roth IRA contributions, make sure that the contributions have not become excess contributions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Unless you requested a filing extension by April 15, you cannot make a solo 401(k) contribution for 2018 after April 15, 2019.

Assuming that you did not request a filing extension, you must amend your 2018 tax return to remove the self-employed retirement contribution that you did not make and pay the additional taxes that result from the removal of this deduction.

There can also be other potential side effects that result from the increase in AGI.  In particular, if you made any Roth IRA contributions, make sure that the contributions have not become excess contributions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies