Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MacQ

Under "Credit for retirement savings contributions" my $8K roth principle dist reduces my refund. My 2014 $6K dist doesn't reduce my refund. I'm confused.

Both my 2014 and 2015 roth distributions were qualified. The 2014 $6K distribution has no affect and the 2015 $8K roth distribution reduces my refund by $200. Why would  there be any increase on taxable income under a retirement contribution savings credit? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Under "Credit for retirement savings contributions" my $8K roth principle dist reduces my refund. My 2014 $6K dist doesn't reduce my refund. I'm confused.

Both of these distributions reduce the amount of your retirement contributions that are considered when calculating your Retirement Savings Contributions Credit, even though they are qualified distributions.  Once you've entered enough for your 2014 and 2015 distributions to completely offset the contribution that would otherwise be considered for determining the credit, your credit is reduced to zero and any additional amounts entered as distributions will not reduce the credit below zero.  The behavior that you are seeing suggests that you would receive a credit of 10% of $2,000 had you not taken the distributions, but that $8,000 distributed is more than enough to completely offset the amount of new retirement contributions that you made.

Congress put this limitation into the tax law so that you cannot make a distribution from a retirement account to make a new contribution just so you could claim the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit, not actually increasing the amount of your retirement savings.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Both of these distributions reduce the amount of your retirement contributions that are considered when calculating your Retirement Savings Contributions Credit, even though they are qualified distributions.  Once you've entered enough for your 2014 and 2015 distributions to completely offset the contribution that would otherwise be considered for determining the credit, your credit is reduced to zero and any additional amounts entered as distributions will not reduce the credit below zero.  The behavior that you are seeing suggests that you would receive a credit of 10% of $2,000 had you not taken the distributions, but that $8,000 distributed is more than enough to completely offset the amount of new retirement contributions that you made.

Congress put this limitation into the tax law so that you cannot make a distribution from a retirement account to make a new contribution just so you could claim the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit, not actually increasing the amount of your retirement savings.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies