turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Two jobs, 403 b and sep Ira

If myW2 job has a 403b and my employee and employer contributions are $58,000 (max) for 2021 can I still contribute to a Sep-IRA for 2021 if  I have a side gig consulting solo employee job too (1099 payments)?  I keep getting different answers from different accountants since 403 b is different under IRS tax code than a 401 K.  Today I was told I could contribute to a Sep-IRA.  

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

No, you are not permitted to contribute to a SEP IRA.  With respect to a 403(b) you are considered self-employed and your retirement contributions are limited to $58,000 with respect to all of your self-employment income.  You've already reached that limit with the contributions to the 403(b).

This is different than the case where the W-2 employer's plan is instead a 401(k).  Contributions to a 401(k) in that case are not considered to be self-employed retirement contributions, so if this was instead a 401(k), you could make a SEP contribution even if the contributions to the 401(k) totaled $58,000.

It's not surprising that you have gotten different answers because it's easy to forget the special provision in the tax code (CFR 1.415(f)-1(f)(1)) that makes the 403(b) contributions be treated as contributions made by you as self-employed, Since both the contributions to the 403(b) and the SEP would both be treated as being made by you as self-employed, the combined amount is subject to a single $58,000 limit. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

No, you are not permitted to contribute to a SEP IRA.  With respect to a 403(b) you are considered self-employed and your retirement contributions are limited to $58,000 with respect to all of your self-employment income.  You've already reached that limit with the contributions to the 403(b).

This is different than the case where the W-2 employer's plan is instead a 401(k).  Contributions to a 401(k) in that case are not considered to be self-employed retirement contributions, so if this was instead a 401(k), you could make a SEP contribution even if the contributions to the 401(k) totaled $58,000.

It's not surprising that you have gotten different answers because it's easy to forget the special provision in the tax code (CFR 1.415(f)-1(f)(1)) that makes the 403(b) contributions be treated as contributions made by you as self-employed, Since both the contributions to the 403(b) and the SEP would both be treated as being made by you as self-employed, the combined amount is subject to a single $58,000 limit. 

Thank you for answering this question because I was told multiple times a Sep-IRA was different but clearly it is not.

again thanks

dmertz
Level 15

A SEP-IRA is certainly different, but because both would be treated to be plans under the same employer (you as self-employed), the $58,000 per-employer limit applies.  Also, because you are considered to be self-employed for the purpose of the 403(b), you are not permitted to have a separate SEP plan that is based on Form 5305-SEP for the plan agreement.  Any SEP plan would have to be based on some other prototype SEP agreement, but the $58,000 limit on the combined contributions would still apply.

my 403(b) is a large nonprofit.  You mean that the IRS considers 403 (b) as owned by the employees not as self employer per se.  The sep ira would have been for a consulting side gig.  If I come under the 58,000 ( or now $61,000) this year, I can open a Sep IRA and put in the difference is my understanding of the rule. 

Thanks!

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies