Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax not ask my edu expense on 1099-R distribution of $4538, fully taxable, and $453.83 was withheld as tax. I want to waive that 10% penalty but got no option.

Why TurboTax not asked about my education expenses on 1099-R distribution of $4,538, which is fully taxable, and $453.83 was withheld as tax. I want to waive the 10% penalty but got no option.

I found other people already asked the same question but you guys really just have to make it like previously, it just never ask you where you use the money.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

TurboTax not ask my edu expense on 1099-R distribution of $4538, fully taxable, and $453.83 was withheld as tax. I want to waive that 10% penalty but got no option.

Was it from a IRA or a 401K?  It's only for IRA withdrawals.  To enter the exception, starting from the "Federal Taxes" tab, select "Deductions & Credits". Select "Choose Explore on my own or I'll choose what to work on ." At the end of the Deductions & Credits section, select the "Done with Deductions" button. After several screens (depending on what entries you've made) you will come to the “Penalty May Apply” screen. Here you can pick the exception.

You can also go to the section under:
Federal Taxes,
Other Tax Situations,
Additional Tax Payments,
Extra Tax on Early Retirement Withdrawals

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies