Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax issue with 401K transfer to traditional IRA

Looking for help on an issue I'm having on getting my taxes finsihed so I can submit it through Turbotax before Monday the 15th. I did post a question elsewhere, but what I was told by one of the experts on here (John) didn't quite work the way he said it would. I took $12K out of my employer run 401K and transferred it in less than 30 days to a Gold IRA (traditional not Roth). I was told that once I do all the steps, including adding all the 1099-R info that I would be asked what I did with the money, but all Turbotax did not... All it asked me was whether I transferred it to a Roth IRA, which I didn't it was transferred to a traditional IRA. For this reason, Turbotax is saying I will pay a penalty. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

What code is in box 7?  Did they take any tax withholding out of it?  Say NO to transferring to a ROTH or skip that.  It only needs to know if you transferred it to a ROTH, otherwise it's to a Traditional IRA.  

Pick I moved it to another retirement account even if you put it back into the same account.

Then choose - I did a combination of rolling over, converting or cashing out the money

If they took out taxes did you replace the taxes when you put it in the IRA?  Otherwise the tax will become a distribution itself and taxable and a 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty if you are under 59 1/2.  

AND do NOT enter it again under Deductions as a new IRA contribution!  A Rollover is not a new contribution.

Thank you for the reply. In box 7 the code given on the 1099-R was "G", and zero paid on taxes. I'll try and do what you are suggesting though, and come back here to let you know if I'm still stuck. 

Oh that's all you do.  Code G means direct transfer.  Just say no it's not to a Roth.  There should be no tax or penalty.  It should show up on 1040 line 5a and 0 taxable on line 5b with Rollover written by it.

OK, but then why when I get near the end of filling out all of my return, is it saying "Income Too High To Deduct an IRA Contribution" and then "Jack's modified adjusted gross income is $xxx,xxx which puts Jack over the limit for IRA deductions"???

You must have missed the part where I said do NOT enter it as a IRA contribution under Deductions.  It is not a new contribution, it is a Rollover.  Delete it from Contributions.  

Ahhh... I get it now. THANK YOU!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies