turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Has anyone ever realized a year late that Turbo Tax software didn't calculate RMDs for both my husband and me? On line 15 it translated only my husband's RMD.

I would like to speak to a Turbo Tax representative.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Has anyone ever realized a year late that Turbo Tax software didn't calculate RMDs for both my husband and me? On line 15 it translated only my husband's RMD.

if you both took an RMD, then you would have received two 1099-Rs for that activity.

You only entered one 1099-R, the one for his RMD.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax has no ability to calculate RMDs.  RMDs are whatever amount you tell TurboTax is an RMD.  If a distribution was omitted from line 15, it means that either you failed to enter it or it got entered on line 16 instead (either because the RMD was from a retirement account other than an IRA or because you overlooked marking the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box when you entered the Form 1099-R).

if you both took an RMD, then you would have received two 1099-Rs for that activity.

You only entered one 1099-R, the one for his RMD.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies