Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax is asking how much or if I paid an RMD on my Government monthly pension/annuity. Did doesn’t make sense. Can anyone help explain what to do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Turbo Tax is asking how much or if I paid an RMD on my Government monthly pension/annuity. Did doesn’t make sense. Can anyone help explain what to do?

@ilovelouie- 

Once you reach age 73, TTX will ask that about every 1099-R that you enter.

For your Govt pension payments,  

1)   It IS an RMD

2) All of it was an RMD

The question is asking if you "received" the RMD (Required Minimum Distribution).

For pension payouts, it is automatically all an RMD

BUT...for funds like IRAs, or TSP/401k accounts, you must take certain minimum amounts (RMD) out of them each year once you reach age 73.  That is something you must be sure to do for these other retirement accounts. 

But for your Govt pension, the RMD is automatically taken care of.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Edited the above...mistyped an 83 instead of 73 in one spot..ouch!

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies