turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Time limit for amending prior year excess withdrawal

Hello. Hoping someone can help me with this question. I just withdrew a prior year excess contribution (for tax year 2019) and had already filed my taxes back in March. My understanding is I had until October to do this. The IRA custodian said I will get a 1099-R in February with a code JP (indicating it’s a prior year excess contribution withdrawal). My question is, do I have to amend my taxes now to include the earnings or can I wait until I receive the 1099-R (which I would prefer to do) so I can be sure of the number that shows up as earnings under box 2a. Would appreciate any guidance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You will wait for the 1099-R form in the mail next January. 

Are you sure about that?  This article says something different. although the rules might be different after the SECURE act or during the COVID pandemic.

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/income/retirement-income/excess-ira-contributions/

In particular, the excess must be withdrawn before the "extended deadline".  The extended deadline is October 15, but only if an extension application was filed before July 15.  Or is the extended deadline always October, even if the taxpayer filed in March and did the withdrawal in August?  @dmertz can you help?

dmertz
Level 15

Filing the tax return by the regular due date also extends to October 15 the deadline for obtaining a return of contribution.  No problem here.

On the mailed amendment, indicate "Filed pursuant to section 301.9100-2."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies