cusa66

This year my husband & I wanted to file together. He gets Soc Sec benefits. He pays for a pharm plan pays about $60 ded a month for his medication. How should I file?

MichaelL1

Because you are married and living together you really only have two choices.

Married Filing Joint (which is generally the best way)

Married Filing Separate.

You will have to have a lot in itemized deductions for the Federal return to itemize in 2018.  The Standard deduction increased to $24,000 and an additional $1,300 each if over age 64.

So the $60 a month for the medical costs, may not matter, however TurboTax will help walk you through this process to make sure you get all the deductions and credits you are entitled to.

MichaelL1

Married Filing Separate.

cusa66

Thank you.
Hal_Al

You should file married filing jointly. You really haven't described anything that would suggest otherwise.

It may appear that his social security benefits are being added, on top of your income, to make more of your income taxable.  But, if you file separately, all of his SS is subject to the  tax calculation on his separate return.
cusa66

Thank you.