Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cusa66

This year my husband & I wanted to file together. He gets Soc Sec benefits. He pays for a pharm plan pays about $60 ded a month for his medication. How should I file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

This year my husband & I wanted to file together. He gets Soc Sec benefits. He pays for a pharm plan pays about $60 ded a month for his medication. How should I file?

Because you are married and living together you really only have two choices.

Married Filing Joint (which is generally the best way)

Married Filing Separate.

You will have to have a lot in itemized deductions for the Federal return to itemize in 2018.  The Standard deduction increased to $24,000 and an additional $1,300 each if over age 64.

So the $60 a month for the medical costs, may not matter, however TurboTax will help walk you through this process to make sure you get all the deductions and credits you are entitled to.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Because you are married and living together you really only have two choices.

Married Filing Joint (which is generally the best way)

Married Filing Separate.

You will have to have a lot in itemized deductions for the Federal return to itemize in 2018.  The Standard deduction increased to $24,000 and an additional $1,300 each if over age 64.

So the $60 a month for the medical costs, may not matter, however TurboTax will help walk you through this process to make sure you get all the deductions and credits you are entitled to.

cusa66

Thank you.
Hal_Al
Level 15

You should file married filing jointly. You really haven't described anything that would suggest otherwise.

It may appear that his social security benefits are being added, on top of your income, to make more of your income taxable.  But, if you file separately, all of his SS is subject to the  tax calculation on his separate return.
cusa66

Thank you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies