Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

This October I received backpay from my military retirement. Since 2013 I have been rated at 40%. My disability went from 40% to 80% backdated from Nov 2013 to Dec 2019. Then to 90% backdated from Dec

2019 to present. Have I paid too much now that the new ratings have been adjusted?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

This October I received backpay from my military retirement. Since 2013 I have been rated at 40%. My disability went from 40% to 80% backdated from Nov 2013 to Dec 2019. Then to 90% backdated from Dec

VA disability payments are not reported on a tax return. 

If you are receiving military retirement income only that income is taxable.  DFAS should have been sending you the Form 1099-R which would have the taxable portion of your retirement income reported.

If there are questions concerning your retirement pay and/or disability pay contact DFAS - Customer service: 1 (888) 332-7411

The reason I ask is from 2013 to present I have been exempt from paying 40% due to my rating. Now that it's been backdated to 80% in 2013 I should have only paid on 20% those 6 years. Seems like I have paid too much. Was just wondering if I could get that back and how. Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies