Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rosie104

Turbo Tax says my Massachusetts pension is taxable by Mass. How do I change this in my Federal Return so it will be correctly non-taxable in my Mass. state return?

How do I change my pension income to non-taxable in my federal return so it will show as non-taxable in Massachusetts.  It is a Mass. pension so it is taxed federally, but not by Mass.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelDC

Turbo Tax says my Massachusetts pension is taxable by Mass. How do I change this in my Federal Return so it will be correctly non-taxable in my Mass. state return?

The standard procedure is to enter the 1099-R in TurboTax exactly as it is printed on the paper form. 

Generally the additional questions you answer during the TurboTax program will fill this information at a later time. Whether or not your state actually taxes that amount is handled during the following interview questions when you select the source of your 1099-R.

After you enter your 1099-R, TurboTax will display a screen Massachusetts Special Handling About This 1099-R.  

Mark the appropriate category of pension and TurboTax will not include the pension in your MA taxable income. (See the attached screenshot below. Click to enlarge.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies