Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The "Retirement Savings Contribution credit" was added by accident and I am unable to remove it. Turbotax is trying to get me to upgrade to "Deluxe." Tried deleting form.

How can I remove this so I can continue filing with Turbotax Free like I have for years?

Tools > Delete form (form 8880) does not work. It does not remove it from the account and I'm unable to file for free. There is $0 added to my return by the Form 8880.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The "Retirement Savings Contribution credit" was added by accident and I am unable to remove it. Turbotax is trying to get me to upgrade to "Deluxe." Tried deleting form.

@wesoverstreet4 Odd... that usually removes the credit since Student's are not allowed this credit.

Try this -

Click on Federal 

Click on Deductions & Credits

Scroll down to Retirement and Investments

On Retirement Savings and Contribution Credit, click on Start

During this interview you will be asked if you are a full time student, so answer Yes

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Go back to My Info and change your occupation to Student.  This will remove the Saver's Credit and let you continue to use the Free online edition.

Click on My Info on the left side of the online program screen.  Edit your personal information.

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Here's what I did:

1. My Info > Edit > Set occupation to "Student"

2. Went to file... nope.

3. Tools > Delete form 8880

4. Go to file.. nope.

Then I edited my info again to even check the "I was a full-time student" box, then repeated the steps above, and nothing.

It keeps telling me to review my "Retirement Contributions." I leave everything blank and there is no way to remove this.

Any other ideas?

@wesoverstreet4 Odd... that usually removes the credit since Student's are not allowed this credit.

Try this -

Click on Federal 

Click on Deductions & Credits

Scroll down to Retirement and Investments

On Retirement Savings and Contribution Credit, click on Start

During this interview you will be asked if you are a full time student, so answer Yes

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Did you enter a W-2 with an amount in Box 12 or 'Retirement Plan' checked?

If so, you would need to remove these items to exclude the Retirement Contribution Savings Credit.

@wesoverstreet4 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This didn't the first time around so I had to "Clear and Restart" and I tried avoiding this credit entirely -- but Turbotax still adds it...

However, this second time around, I went with your solution on the first time I had to "Start/Review" the credit and it worked!

Seems like a sleazy way to try and force me into the "Deluxe" edition.

Thank you!

smitreia

I almost did this since I was running into the same problem, but for my situation realized adding the $400 credit to my federal refund was worth subtracting the $129 Live Deluxe from it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies