Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rburns16

The original form I was sent says Form 1099-R at the top, but at the bottom left it says Substitute Form 1099-R. Do I file it as a substitute form or an original?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

The original form I was sent says Form 1099-R at the top, but at the bottom left it says Substitute Form 1099-R. Do I file it as a substitute form or an original?

Before you submit a substitute Form 1099-R, contact your employer or retirement advisor and discuss your need for it. If it was simply an oversight or the form was lost in the mail, your employer can send another 1099-R. Without a Form 1099-R, the IRS will contact your employer directly to make sure that your substitute form has the correct information.

dmertz
Level 15

You file it as an original Form 1099-R.  Do not mark the box in TurboTax to indicate that you need to file a substitute Form 1099-R (Form 4852).  The "substitute" Form 1099-R in your case simply means that it is not printed on the official IRS form.  It has nothing to do with any need to file Form 4852.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies