turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lray3180

I receive Social Security Disability and Workers Compensation. Both are on the SSA statement. Do I report both under income or just the disability from Social Security?

My husband receives Social Security and I receive Social Security Disability.  I also receive Workers Compensation.  On my SSA 1099 statement (form) they listed my social security disability wages and my workers compensation wages.  I only reported my disability wages along with his social security wages on the federal return.  Should I have also reported the Workers Compensation wages.  Also, no taxes were taken from my Social Security Wages or my husbands wages. Is this normal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I receive Social Security Disability and Workers Compensation. Both are on the SSA statement. Do I report both under income or just the disability from Social Security?

The amount to report from your SSA-1099 form, showing the worker's compensation, should be reported as it appears on your statement. In other words, enter box 5 - Total net benefits and medicare if applicable.  (see image attached)

Do not enter amounts from box 3, which is descriptions showing the amount for each.  Worker's compensation is not taxable, but sometimes shows up on the SSA-1099 because Social Security is repaying those amounts when the disability claim is resolved and finalized.

If you have amounts in box 3, that apply to earlier years, you may use a special "lump-sum" election to reduce the taxable amount.  If you find none of your social security benefits are taxable then this will not apply.  TurboTax will ask the questions, then optimize your return for the best results. (see image attached)

It is normal to have no federal tax withholding from your social security benefits.  You can choose to have it withheld, but if you find you have no tax due, then you don't need to do that.  If you decide you want to have some federal tax withheld from your social security benefits (either you or your husband or both) use this number to start the process.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies