Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does the amount I enter in Turbo Tax as my ROTH IRA CONTRIBUTION get reported to the IRS or is it just for help me keep track of my contributions? Thanks for the help!

I added funds after filing taxes. Is that a 1040X reportable issue or just a matter of updating TT in 2020 for 2019 tracking?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cindy0H

Does the amount I enter in Turbo Tax as my ROTH IRA CONTRIBUTION get reported to the IRS or is it just for help me keep track of my contributions? Thanks for the help!

No, it is not reported on your return. You don't have to report your contribution to a Roth IRA; however, you may want to input it into TurboTax so you can track your basis.   In order to avoid paying taxes on the earnings, it’s necessary to leave your contributions in your Roth IRA for at least five years. Just update in 2019, don't amend your return with a 1040X.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Cindy0H

No, it is not reported on your return. You don't have to report your contribution to a Roth IRA; however, you may want to input it into TurboTax so you can track your basis.   In order to avoid paying taxes on the earnings, it’s necessary to leave your contributions in your Roth IRA for at least five years. Just update in 2019, don't amend your return with a 1040X.

Thanks for taking the time to share your insight & knowledge. I do understand the tracking component, potential for credits, five year rule etc. IRAs are beautiful tools! Among all the details I forgot whether IRS tracks from me and/or only the Financial Institutions. I will update TT 's tracking but no need to file 1040X to Amend. Your comment, and its directness, has given me the info I need!  I appreciate the TT Support & Community. Though I've filed for MANY decades, I've found it helpful to reach out each year for a clarification or corroboration. I'll focus on updating TT's tracking to correct the erroneous figure for next year's transfer, without regard to notify IRS.  Thank you!

A Roth IRA contribution does not actually go on a tax return, but you should enter it anyway to:

1) Tell you if your income qualifies you for a contribution and warn you if it does not.
2) Check if your income exceeds the limit to contribute to a Roth.
3) Track your contribution year-to-year if you use TurboTax every year.
4) Add the Retirement Savers Credit if you qualify.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks for taking the time to share your insight. Your answer was helpful. I am familiar with the factors you itemized, and an understanding of the layered aspects of IRAs is very important. I've used these vessels since about 1980 and the devil and wonder are in the details.  Your rounding of the answer is reassuring. The review is sincerely appreciated. Looks like I can update but a 1040X is not required. I'll focus on updating TT's tracking to correct the erroneous figure for next year's transfer, without regard to notify IRS. Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies