Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tell Us the Value of Your Traditional IRA

I retired in November 2022, and in 2023 I rolled over my employer’s 401k.  Most of it was pre-tax, and went into a rollover IRA (is this also called a traditional IRA?).  The post-tax part (from Roth 401k contributions) went to a Roth IRA.  So the Rollover IRA portion is 100% pre-tax.

My 401k was with Fidelity, and the Rollover IRA is also with Fidelity.  They performed the Rollover for me at my request.  Because they did this without me ever touching the money, is this still called a rollover, or is it a transfer?  I'm trying to understand the terminology, and if it matters here.

During the year, I made several Roth conversions from the Rollover IRA into a Roth IRA.

I am using TurboTax Deluxe 2023, and have been asked for the following three values:

- - - - - - - - - -

Enter the total value of all of Bill’s traditional IRA, SEP, and SIMPLE IRA accounts on December 31, 2023. This information is sent by mail on Form 5498. Do not include ROTH IRAs.

Enter any outstanding 2023 rollovers and recharacterizations that were not completed until 2024.

Value of Bill’s Traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs on December 31, 2023: ________

Outstanding Rollovers: ________

Outstanding Recharacterizations: ________

- - - - - - - - - -

Let's take each of the three values one at a time:

1. When they say “Traditional IRAs”, does that include what is in my Rollover IRA?  (I'm still not sure if traditional IRA = rollover IRA here.)  And does it include what was in the Rollover IRA before 2023 (it has existed for several years)?
  2. Based on what I said above (Fidelity handled the movement of money from 401k to Rollover IRA), I don’t have anything to report for outstanding rollovers, and I should enter $0.00.
  3. There are no outstanding recharacterizations, so this will be $0.00.

Summary:  I am pretty sure that questions #2 and #3 above should show $0.00, but I don’t know what to enter for question #1.  Thank you for your help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, when they say Traditional IRA that refers to all pretax funded IRAs, whether they are rolled over or still in the original account.

When it asks for the value on December 31, 2023, that's exactly what it means. take the value of all traditional IRA on December 31, 2023, add them together and enter that total. 

Outstanding rollovers are ones that are planned to occur soon, or are in process, so yes, that is $0. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, when they say Traditional IRA that refers to all pretax funded IRAs, whether they are rolled over or still in the original account.

When it asks for the value on December 31, 2023, that's exactly what it means. take the value of all traditional IRA on December 31, 2023, add them together and enter that total. 

Outstanding rollovers are ones that are planned to occur soon, or are in process, so yes, that is $0. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies