turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxable income

Social security income prior to part B medical deduction is $33,780.00 , investment income $8000.00 total 41,780 will I pay federal taxes ? I’m single age 68 at what income will I pay taxes and am I allowed all normal tax deductions on that amount? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Taxable income

Based on your numbers, no your benefits are not taxable.

$33,780/2 + $8000 = $24,890 which is less than $25,000 filing as Single.

Up to 85% of Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security reaches:

• Married Filing Jointly - $32,000
  • Single or Head of Household - $25,000
  • Married Filing Separately - 0

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Taxable income

Based on your numbers, no your benefits are not taxable.

$33,780/2 + $8000 = $24,890 which is less than $25,000 filing as Single.

Up to 85% of Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security reaches:

• Married Filing Jointly - $32,000
  • Single or Head of Household - $25,000
  • Married Filing Separately - 0

Taxable income

Thanks just a quick follow up , if I end up over $25,000 single income based on your tax table reply , do I get to use home mortgage , personal exemption to bring me back under for the 25,000 max for no taxes or will only the income over the 25,000 be taxable before or after my exemptions for example let’s say I end up at 35,000 after half social security income credit 

Taxable income

Do personal exemptions like mortgage and tax deducts etc etc reduce taxable income after the 25,000 single income max and do you deduct the typeB medical premium for total social security income 

Taxable income

@76maddog wrote:

Do personal exemptions like mortgage and tax deducts etc etc reduce taxable income after the 25,000 single income max and do you deduct the typeB medical premium for total social security income 

Medicare premiums paid from the Social Security benefits received do Not reduce the amount of SS benefits reported on a tax return.

Your Adjusted Gross Income on the tax return is reduced by either your Standard Deduction or your Itemized Deductions, whichever is greater.  For most all taxpayers the Standard Deduction will be greater than the Itemized Deductions.  The deductions you mentioned, medical expenses/medical premiums, home mortgage interest, etc. are all itemized deductions.

When either the Standard or Itemized deduction is subtracted from the Adjusted Gross Income the result is your Taxable Income.

For example if your Adjusted Gross Income was $8,000 subtracting the Standard Deduction for a Single Filer age 65 or older of  $14,050 reduces your Taxable Income to $0 so no taxes are owed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies