patzoo

Taxable amount on 1099R is unknown. TurboTax puts the gross distribution on the AR state return rather than the taxable amount from simplified method. How do I change it?

Cindy0H

You will go back and EDIT your 1099R in your Federal return.

• Federal
  • Income & Wages
  • Retirement Income
  • 1099R

Go through the questions until you get to:

Verify Box 2a and Box 2b: Taxable Amount Not Determined 

Describe the Taxable amount: No, a different amount was taxable.

Tell Us the Taxable Amount Method: Simplified method or General rule

Cindy0H

• Federal
  • Income & Wages
  • Retirement Income
  • 1099R

patzoo

I did all that. However, I never saw a Box 2b.  TT still uses the total distribution amt, not the taxable amt from the simplified worksheet.  
patzoo

On the AR state return where it figures the taxable pension amt for line 18B, it incorrectly uses the gross distribution amount for both gross and taxable, not the taxable amount from the Federal 1040 line 4b.  
Cindy0H

You could try to go back to the federal return and delete that 1099R and try entering it again.
patzoo

Simplified Method Worksheet correctly figures taxable amount for federal.  However, Arkansas state Pension and Annuity Worksheet and form AR-RET put the gross distribution amount on the taxable distribution lines (instead of the amount from the Simplified Method Worksheet).  Retired on permanent disability, but now past the MRA.  I have deleted and reentered several times with the same results.  This appears to be a TurboTax error.
patzoo

Is there any way to override TT in the online version for Arkansas state return?  
P.S.  I did not mean to recommend the answer.  The answer so far has not suggested anything I haven't already tried.  TT is doing this WRONG!!!