Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MTV
Level 2

Tax / Withholding on 1099-R

Is there a tax rate difference on a Qualified Plan with normal distribution for a 1099-R compared to wages from a W-2? My withholdings are the same for both and when I enter the W-2 information from each of my part-time jobs I have a sizeable return coming back from state and federal, but when I enter my 1099-R it wipes out my returns and causes me to owe taxes. I have no idea why the 1099-R eliminates my returns and causes me to owe taxes if my withholdings are the same as each W-2 and the 1099-R. Not that it should matter, but the 1099-R is from a state teacher retirement system which is a pension as opposed to receiving Social Security. My deductions assist with removing the tax debt that I owe, but I would like to figure out what is going on. All I know to do is increase my withholdings on my 1099-R.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Remember that when you start entering your income, your standard deduction is used right away to reduce the amount of income you are taxed on.  So the amount on that first W-2 has more "tax free" money on it.   As you add taxable income your refund or tax due are affected, even if you had tax withheld from all of the income you enter.   The "refund monitor" changes as you enter income; that is normal.   You cannot tell how much your refund or tax due will be until you enter ALL of your income.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

Both are taxed as ordinary income.

The US income tax system is a progressive tax system, meaning that your marginal tax rate increases as your taxable income increases.  That combined with your standard deduction or itemized means that additional amounts of taxable income that you enter will see a higher marginal tax rate than the first amounts of taxable income that you enter.  People with higher amounts of ordinary taxable income pay taxes at a higher average tax rate on that income.

You can increase tax withholding on the W-2 income, the 1099-R income or both to avoid underpayment of taxes.  It all gets lumped together on your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies