Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hkhk
Level 1

T IRA partial deduction

Hi!

I have T-IRA (no 401k available from work) & my spouse has Roth IRA (401k available & contributing).

We file jointly & MAGI <= 198k, but there's a chance that we fall into the next bracket (say, 200K, knowing the ranges may change in the future) soon.

Then should I keep contributing $6000 to T-IRA, get partial deduction, and the rest no deduction? I am wondering if there is any benefit to open up a new Roth IRA account and start contributing partially.

Using the calculator, it looks like I can get $4800 T IRA deductible OR $4800 Roth IRA contribution amount. Then is there a way to contribute $4800 to T IRA & $1200 to Roth IRA? Or would you suggest putting $6000 to T IRA and only get $4800 deduction?

Thanks!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

T IRA partial deduction

$4800 to T IRA & $1200 to Roth IRA would max out the investment opportunities however wait until the end of the year or early next year until you know your total income for the year so you know how much you can deduct first then put the rest into a ROTH. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

T IRA partial deduction

$4800 to T IRA & $1200 to Roth IRA would max out the investment opportunities however wait until the end of the year or early next year until you know your total income for the year so you know how much you can deduct first then put the rest into a ROTH. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies