Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Surrendered a life insurance policy, received a letter but no forms such as an 1099R or 1099MISC. I was told to report as Ordinary Income, should I have received a form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Surrendered a life insurance policy, received a letter but no forms such as an 1099R or 1099MISC. I was told to report as Ordinary Income, should I have received a form?

It depends. If the payment received consisted only of premiums paid, then there may not be a taxable amount. In many cases, you also receive accumulated earnings on the premiums.

Check with the company to see if they have a history of your transactions to help you determine whether the entire amount or a lesser amount should be taxable and whether they issued you a 1099-R, 1099-INT, or other tax form.

Please see this help article for more information.

Please see also this thread for another discussion of this issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

If the insurance company knew that the distribution was not taxable, they are not required to report the distribution, otherwise they are required to  report the distribution on Form 1099-R.  If they were not required to send you a Form 1099-R and did not send you a Form 1099-R, nothing about this is reportable on your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies