Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Spouse worked one month - can I contribute for her in IRA?

Hi Tax Team -

my spouse worked one month for a School as teacher and paid taxes for that month after that she was unemployed - Can I fill for her Traditional IRA? as when I try in TurboTax it errored on AGI saying You were covered with employer provided plan but that was for one month only.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Did TurboTax say that you/she could not contribute to her IRA, or did it say that the contribution would not be deductible?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Could not be deductible

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Pub 590a (page 12) says, "the deduction you can take for contributions made to your traditional IRA depends on whether you or your spouse was covered for any part of the year by an employer retirement plan".

I suspect that your spouse had an employer retirement plan, even for the one month, and this led to her not being able to deduct the contribution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@nitingautam wrote:

Could not be deductible

In general, you can use the spousal IRA rule to contribute to a spouse's IRA even if the spouse didn't work, as long as you have enough compensation from working to cover both IRA contributions.

However, depending on your income and your work retirement benefits, your ability to make deductible contributions to your own or a spouse's IRA may be limited.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/ira-deduction-limits

You can may be able to make a non-deductible contribution to a Roth IRA instead.  Or, you can make non-deductible contributions to a traditional pre-tax IRA, but that creates a complicated situation that will follow you for the rest of your life.  We can discuss those options if you want to.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies