turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social Security taxes

Is it too late to start taxing taxes out of my social security and retirement? 

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Social Security taxes



You can submit a request to withhold federal taxes social for security benefits below:




As a general rule of thumb, if your filing status is not MFJ and your combined income and half of social security benefits is greater than 25,000, then your social security benefits start to become taxable. For MFJ, this threshold increases to 32,000. Please see:




Roth qualified retirement distributions are generally not taxable. For other retirement plans, I would definitely recommend withholdings as a general rule of thumb as they will be taxable in the majority of scenarios. You can call your retirement plan provider to help set this up for you.


Best regards!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies