Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Social security tax overpayment

My husband had 2 employers last year and both employers had taken out $7347 in social security tax.  Where do I make sure I can get a credit for overpayment?
1 Reply
Level 13

Social security tax overpayment

If the amount of Social Security taxes withheld was too much because two W-2s (from two different companies) put together went over $7,347 (the maximum Social Security taxes to be withheld for one taxpayer in a year), then TurboTax will compute the excess amount and refund it to you automatically as a credit on line 71 on page 2 of the 1040.

Please see Tax Topic 608 at the IRS website.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings