Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social Security Excess Refund

I owe a few hundred dollars in federal taxes, but I overpaid social security by a few thousand dollars. When I preview my 1040 worksheet, the schedule 3 - 11, shows that I have a Total Excess Social Security. However, I'm unable to file my taxes without paying the federal taxes I owe. Does the social security credit get returned to me another way? Why won't what I owe on federal taxes just be deducted from the excess social security? 

Thanks for any help! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The excess Social Security taxes withheld reported on Schedule 3 Line 11 will flow to your Form 1040 Line 31 and be included in your tax payments.

If your total tax liability on line 24 is greater than your total tax payments on line 33 you will have taxes owed reported on Line 37 of the Form 1040.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The amount on Schedule 3 line 11 is added to other Schedule 3 items on line 15.  Then that amount is reported on Form 1040 line 31 where it is added to your other payments and withholdings.  

So the excess Social Security tax has already been taken into account on your return prior to calculating the balance due.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies