turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

So I won on DraftKings. Playing slots. I however never cashed out the money and kept playing the funds in my account and lost the $Do I have 2 file since I never cashed

I never received the money so why would I have to submit taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

So I won on DraftKings. Playing slots. I however never cashed out the money and kept playing the funds in my account and lost the $Do I have 2 file since I never cashed

Yes, you would still have to include the winnings as income because when they entered your account you were able to withdraw them or re-bet them.  Once you have control over the money, then you choose what to do with it.

Gambling winnings are taxable income.

In order to claim gambling losses, you must itemize your return. So even if you left it ride in your account and then lost it all betting it again, you would need to include the winnings as income and then itemize your return to claim any of the losses. 

Other Itemized expenses include mortgage interest, state and local taxes up to $10,000, medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of your AGI and casualty and losses in excess of 10% of you AGI with the first $100 not counting towards the loss.  Your health insurance and all medical expenses are only deductible for the amount that is over 7.5% of your AGI.  This means if your AGI is $50,000, then the amount that is over $3,750 is deductible.  

Then your total itemized expenses would need to be greater than your standard deduction below in order to benefit from your insurance premium payments. 

The 2023 Standard Deductions are as follows:

• Married Filing Joint (MFJ)              $27,700
  • Married Filing Separate (MFS)      $13,850
  • Head of Household (HOH)             $20,800 
  • Single                                                     $13,850                                

Blind and MFJ or MFS add $1,500

Single or HOH if blind add $1,850

Did you receive a W2-G? 

To enter your w2-G select the following:

• Federal
  • Income
  • Prizes, Awards, and Gambling Winnings under Less Common Income

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies