turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

larryesh

Should the taxable amount on form 1099-R reflect the amount my son paid for an annuity?

Should the taxable amount on the 1099-R be the full amount of the gross distribution? My son died July, 2018 and I was the beneficiary of an annuity he set up. He paid $14,000 in 2001 and the distribution was for $58,000. He paid taxes on the $14,000 already so shouldn't the Box 2A amount be $44,000?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Should the taxable amount on form 1099-R reflect the amount my son paid for an annuity?

Special rules apply when the inherited beneficiary is a non-spouse. If the beneficiary is a non-spouse, the taxes depend on the payout choice. If the non-spouse beneficiary chooses a lump sum payout option, they will owe taxes on the interest earned on the original premium. They will not have to pay income tax on the premium. If the beneficiary chooses to continue with annuity payments, each payment will be taxed individually. Choosing this option spreads out the tax liability over a longer period of time.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Special rules apply when the inherited beneficiary is a non-spouse. If the beneficiary is a non-spouse, the taxes depend on the payout choice. If the non-spouse beneficiary chooses a lump sum payout option, they will owe taxes on the interest earned on the original premium. They will not have to pay income tax on the premium. If the beneficiary chooses to continue with annuity payments, each payment will be taxed individually. Choosing this option spreads out the tax liability over a longer period of time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies