Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I say I contributed to a traditional or Roth Ira? I left my job and they paid me for my vacation time. Does that count? How do I find out? Thank you!

Not sure if it counts because it was an automatic withdrawal from paycheck and I’m not sure if they’re asking if I contributed by myself or if that matters.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I say I contributed to a traditional or Roth Ira? I left my job and they paid me for my vacation time. Does that count? How do I find out? Thank you!

What does vacation time paid have to do with a IRA?  Anything they took out of your pay for retirement would be on your W2 in box 12.  You only  enter it from the W2 and not under Deductions.  They don't take regular IRA contributions out of your pay.  That would be a 401k or a SIMPLE or SEP IRA.  You have to contribute to a IRA yourself outside of work so you would know if you opened an IRA.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What does vacation time paid have to do with a IRA?  Anything they took out of your pay for retirement would be on your W2 in box 12.  You only  enter it from the W2 and not under Deductions.  They don't take regular IRA contributions out of your pay.  That would be a 401k or a SIMPLE or SEP IRA.  You have to contribute to a IRA yourself outside of work so you would know if you opened an IRA.  

Thank you so much for explaining to me in simple terms! I’m new to filing taxes. I appreciate your help in understanding, it makes sense now.  Made my night! 

You're very welcome!  Hope it was clear enough.  

" it was an automatic withdrawal from paycheck "

If your employer contributed your vacation pay to your 401K plan at work,

you will see that amount in W-2 box 12.

In which case, there's nothing for you to do.

@7e32e89e9238 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies