turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

User986547
Returning Member

Should I include amount of early pension withdrawal re-invested in Roth IRA within 60 days in "Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions" section of "Deductions & Credits?"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Should I include amount of early pension withdrawal re-invested in Roth IRA within 60 days in "Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions" section of "Deductions & Credits?"

If you received a 1099-R showing an early withdrawal from your retirement fund, there may be a code in Box 7 indicating that it was rolled over into a Roth IRA.

If not, you will be able to enter this info yourself in the follow-up questions after you enter your 1099-R in TurboTax.

Type '1099r' in the Search area, then click on 'Jump to 1099R' to get to this section, and Continue all the way through the section to complete your entry.

Click the link for more info on 1099-R Box 7 Codes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
User986547
Returning Member

Thanks.  I had done that part already, but do I also need to show that amount in the "Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions" subsection within the "Deductions and Credits" section?

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

If you are below 59 1/2 years you may have to pay early distribution penalty. However, having said that you can of course rollover your pension into a 401K. Some pensions don't allow for such rollovers but it seems you have already done it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

No.  Do not enter your rollover under Deductions & Credits.  The traditional and Roth IRA section under Deductions & Credits is only for reporting new regular contributions, not rollovers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies