Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I ignore a PTS-1099 with 405K in box 2 and $842.54 in box 6 if house was lived in for 15 years or should I account for it somewhere? If I should, where?

Fiance lived in house 15 years.  Sold if for 405K.  Net proceeds were 50K.  She was issued a PTS-1099 showing $842.54 in Box 6, "Buyer's part of real estate tax."  I don't know what to do with this.  I have read that if you lived in the house for a certain period, any profit is tax-free.  Any help would be appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Should I ignore a PTS-1099 with 405K in box 2 and $842.54 in box 6 if house was lived in for 15 years or should I account for it somewhere? If I should, where?

If  the house was owned and lived in as a primary residence for at least 2 of the past 5 years the owner can take an exemption for up to $250,000 of the capital gain (If filing single, which i assume your fiance is) when selling.

That means the capital gain is calculated as selling price less selling expenses such as brokerage commissions, minus original cost. The original cost is increased by any costs for improvements while the property was owned.  Take note that no mortgage payoffs are considered here.  In other words, the net proceeds can reflect things like mortgage payoffs, that are not considered at all in calculating gain or loss.  If any depreciation has been taken for any part of the property, that depreciation must be subtracted from the cost basis and is taxable.  Any gain over$250,000 is taxable.

This may sound complicated but it's pretty simple to enter in the progrsm under sale of Home. The questions will lead you through.

The PTS appears to be a form related to taking a property tax credit and not to selling the house.  It looks like, for this credit, part of the property tax paid at closing or for the year would be used by the buyer for purposes of this credit, and not the seller.  Just answer the property tax credit questions in the state program.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anita01

If  the house was owned and lived in as a primary residence for at least 2 of the past 5 years the owner can take an exemption for up to $250,000 of the capital gain (If filing single, which i assume your fiance is) when selling.

That means the capital gain is calculated as selling price less selling expenses such as brokerage commissions, minus original cost. The original cost is increased by any costs for improvements while the property was owned.  Take note that no mortgage payoffs are considered here.  In other words, the net proceeds can reflect things like mortgage payoffs, that are not considered at all in calculating gain or loss.  If any depreciation has been taken for any part of the property, that depreciation must be subtracted from the cost basis and is taxable.  Any gain over$250,000 is taxable.

This may sound complicated but it's pretty simple to enter in the progrsm under sale of Home. The questions will lead you through.

The PTS appears to be a form related to taking a property tax credit and not to selling the house.  It looks like, for this credit, part of the property tax paid at closing or for the year would be used by the buyer for purposes of this credit, and not the seller.  Just answer the property tax credit questions in the state program.

Thank you, Anita!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies