Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I have to pay taxes on court-ordered disbursement from a retirement acct? Ex paid taxes taking it out of his account and it went right into my retirement account.

I have to pay taxes on court-ordered disbursement from retirement account (TSP).  Taxes were paid by ex when he made withdrawal.  Money went straight into my retirement account.  Does paying taxes twice sound right?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Should I have to pay taxes on court-ordered disbursement from a retirement acct? Ex paid taxes taking it out of his account and it went right into my retirement account.

You wouldn't really be paying twice.  If you personally received the 1099-R, then you would be responsible for paying the taxes.  He would get a refund when he files his return for the overpayment as long as he doesn't include the same income on his return.

It comes down to only one of you should get a 1099-R for that disbursement.  Whoever gets the 1099-R is the one that pays the taxes.  The other person is the one that would not pay or would get a refund if they already paid. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies