Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jttekautz

Should I be able to deduct public retirement & pension on Michigan tax return if the primary taxpayer was born before 1946?

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/taxes/2018RetirementPensionBenefitsChart_644900_7.pdf

I should be able to deduct the entire amount per the State of Michigan Treasury web site.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Should I be able to deduct public retirement & pension on Michigan tax return if the primary taxpayer was born before 1946?

Based on the instructions from the SOS website, both public and private pensions are eligible for a "subtraction" if one or both of the taxpayers were born before 1946.  Instructions are on page 17 of the Michigan Tax Instruction booklet - there is a section called "which sections do I complete" - see option 3 regarding taxpayers born prior to 1946.  There is also a scenario #4 which gives a step-by-step for a situation where one spouse is older than the other and both public and private pensions are involved.   You will need form  4884 which includes a section to identify the pension income and their sources. Then complete section "A". Unfortunately, TurboTax does not have this totally correct in their programming - they do not allow reporting private pensions. I had to do the form manually, print the return and send it in by mail.    

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies