Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Selling Shares from Investment Account (eTrade) to Roll into IRA Account

Hello,

Trying to understand Tax implications of having transferred my investments from eTrade to an IRA account with Fidelity.   I received a 1099-B that shows gains, but these funds were transferred directly from eTrade to Fidelity IRA.  Do I need to pay taxes on the gains?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you must pay taxes on the gains. This answer assumes the eTrade account was not a traditional IRA.

When the stocks were 'transferred' they actually sold the stock and transferred the proceeds. For this reason the gains must be taxed and then you may be able to take a deduction for the money you put into the IRA.  Keep in mind that the amount you are limited on the amount you are allowed to put into an IRA each year.

For 2022, 2021, 2020 and 2019, the total contributions you make each year to all of your traditional IRAs and Roth IRAs can't be more than:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

DianeW777 Thank you for the answer.  Makes sense.

Cheers,

dmertz
Level 15

To elaborate on what DianeW777 said, you did not do a rollover.  You used the cash that you received from the sale of your investments to fund a new, regular contribution to the IRA.  If Fidelity instead recorded this as a rollover contribution, you have a problem that needs to be fixed so that Form 5498 that Fidelity issues for this IRA is correct.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies