Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Icey101
Returning Member

Roth 401k rollover to Roth IRA then withdraw from Roth IRA

Where do I annotate a older roller in Turbo Tax. I can not find where I enter my 2021 Roth 401K to Roth IRA rollover. I rolled over $34k (of which $24k was contribution) to my Roth IRA. The Roth 401k was opened in 2016 and transfer was 2021, fullfilling that 5 year rule. The Roth IRA was opened in 2008, so fullfilling that 5 year rule. I took a with draw of $34k against the roth IRA in 2023 but can not find anyplace to annotate a $34k roll over into the account (it was shown on my 2021 taxes).

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Satisfying either of these 5-year rules is irrelevant if at the time of the distribution from the Roth IRA you were under age 59½.  Otherwise, the distribution from the Roth IRA is a qualified distribution and there is no need to know your contribution basis because a qualified distribution is automatically free of tax an penalty.

Assuming that you were under age 59½ at the time of the distribution from the Roth IRA, your $24,000 of contribution basis in the Roth 401(k) became contribution basis in the Roth IRA.  Be sure to click the Continue button on the page that lists the Forms 1099-R that you have entered and, when asked, enter or confirm your Roth IRA contribution basis (including the contribution basis from the Roth 401(k)).

Icey101
Returning Member

On my 2021 return it shows the $24k contribution ($34k total rollover), so I should change the box that asks the total life contribtion to include this $24k along with Roth IRA contribtutions? Yes I am under 59.5.

dmertz
Level 15

"I should change the box that asks the total life contribtion to include this $24k along with Roth IRA contribtutions?"

Yes.

taxnovice16
Returning Member

I have a similar question. In 2022 I rolled over my Roth 401k into a Roth IRA and I also rolled over my 401k in to Traditional IRA.  It looks like I never submitted the 1099-R forms in my 2022 tax filing, although I do have copies of the 1099-R forms on my computer.  There are no other contributions in the Roth IRA and Traditional IRA other than what I moved over.

In 2023 I withdrew some funds from my Roth IRA (I am in m 30s btw).  This amount is less than what I contributed to my Roth 401k (the number in box 5).

Do I need to amend my 2022 tax forms to include the 1099-R forms from when I rolled over the 401ks?  Or can I just enter the amount from box 5 of my 1099-R from the Roth 401k as the "Roth Contributions Prior to 2023" and be done with it?

Thank you

Edit:

For clarity my 2022 1099-R from Roth 401k has Distribution Code H in Box 7 (though this form was not included in 2022 tax return)
My 2023 1099-R from Roth IRA has Distribution Code J in Box 7

dmertz
Level 15

Both of the rollovers from the 401(k) in 2022 were nontaxable, so there probably isn't much reason to amend the 2022 tax return at this point.  I would just enter as "Roth Contributions Prior to 2023" the amount from box 5 of the 2022 Form 1099-R that reports the distribution from the Roth 401k and be done with it.

taxnovice16
Returning Member

Thank you! And thank you for the super fast reply!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies