Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rollover of 401k Pretax to Roth 401k 2021 and Plan Pretax and Aftertax Contributions

For 2021 I did a partial rollover of pretax 401k to Roth 401k within the same plan. A mix of pretax and after tax fund remain in the 401k . When employed at this company 20 years ago, I did contribute both pretax and after tax . No contributions for 2021.  The company had matching contributions, but I would have to find out if the company if the company matched pretax or after-tax.

The interview question " Did you make any after tax contributions to your 401k ? These would be contributions you made to the plan yourself, rather than being made by your company on your behalf?

Does this mean just for this rollover in 2021 or for the 401k account as a whole for all time ?
If I should check YES, how does this affect my taxes and what additional TT entries further in the interview ? And do I need to determine if the company made matching after tax contributions or is this base only on my after-tax contributions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Rollover of 401k Pretax to Roth 401k 2021 and Plan Pretax and Aftertax Contributions

The answer to this question is the total of after contributions you made to your 401(k) which is the basis of your 401(k). TurboTax needs this amount to determine the taxable part of your rollover.

As to your company's matching contributions, there are all pretax because you did not pay tax on the matched amounts.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank for the info.

I assume the total After-tax be for all time in the plan, not the remaining After-tax total after subtracting the 2021 roth 401k conversion.

Shown below for 2021 are the categories in my 401k. Roth 401k is the only new category. The Pre-tax, Roth 401k and After-tax are understood to before or after-tax. Can I be sure that if the Rollover (severance package), Prior Company and Prior ESOP are After-tax otherwise Plan Administrator would show them pre-tax?

Pre-tax
Roth 401(k) Just converted 2021
After-tax
Rollover
Prior Company
Prior ESOP

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Employer match contributions are by law pretax. Employers can't make after tax 401(k) contributions.

Your ESOP and prior ESOP are probably after-tax. This is not a retirement plan. It's your purchase of employer stock, generally at a discount.

Rollover (severance package) and Prior Company could be anything. Check with your investment company. They can probably tell you for sure.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Employer match contributions are by law pretax. Employers can't make after tax 401(k) contributions.

Your ESOP and prior ESOP are probably after-tax. This is not a retirement plan. It's your purchase of employer stock, generally at a discount.

Rollover (severance package) and Prior Company could be anything. Check with your investment company. They can probably tell you for sure.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies