Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bberth

Rollover of 401(k) to Roth 401(k)

My husband started a new job in 2023 and rolled over his 401k. At his new position, he has a 50/50 traditional 401k and Roth 401k. For the Turbtotax question "Is this 1099-R reporting a rollover of funds from a 401(k), 403(b), or governmental 457(b) plan to a designated Roth 401(k) or Roth (403(b) plan," would we say yes or no in his situation?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

@bberth 

You'll likely need to ask the new employer's 401k Administrator whether it ALL went just into the 401k,  or part into the 401k and part into the 401k ROTH .  Might be in his account statements for 2023....especially the first month's statement after transferring in the $$ it might be obvious, but asking is safer.

Just because their regular contributions go 50-50 doesn't mean the rollover went in that way.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
dmertz
Level 15

A rollover from the traditional account in one employer's 401(k) is not permitted to be rolled over to the designated Roth account in a different employer's 401(k), so that answer should be No, otherwise an impermissible rollover was performed.  As SteamTrain suggested, though, your husband should confirm that the funds distributed from the traditional account in the old employer's plan were properly deposited into the traditional account in the new employer's plan.

@dmertz 

Thanks, I hadn't considered that.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Your husband’s new contributions don’t control how the rollover was processed.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies