Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RMD waiver in 2020

I inherited an IRA from my father in early 2020 and it falls under the 10 year rule.  He was already taking RMDs before he passed away.  The IRS waived the RMD requirement for 2020 and I didn't make an RMD that year.  Does the RMD waiver in 2020 expand my withdrawal window from 10 years to 11 years?  Do I have until 12/31/31 to drain the account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

RMD waiver in 2020

It was your father, not you, who had no RMD for 2020.  Because your father had no RMD for 2020, there was no year-of-death RMD for you to complete on behalf of your father.  Because your father died in 2020, your first year as beneficiary under the 10-year rule was 2021 (not 2020), with 2030 being the 10th year.  The account must be fully drained by the end of 2030.

Because your father died after his required beginning date for RMDs, the proposed regulations require you to take annual RMDs under the 10-year rule.  However, the IRS has waived through 2024 the penalty for not taking these beneficiary RMDs under the 10-year rule.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

RMD waiver in 2020

No, the waiver for 2020 does not extend the 10-year window. You still must empty the account "by December 31 of the year containing the 10th anniversary of the owner's death." Since your father passed away in 2020, that means you must empty the account by December 31, 2030.

dmertz
Level 15

RMD waiver in 2020

It was your father, not you, who had no RMD for 2020.  Because your father had no RMD for 2020, there was no year-of-death RMD for you to complete on behalf of your father.  Because your father died in 2020, your first year as beneficiary under the 10-year rule was 2021 (not 2020), with 2030 being the 10th year.  The account must be fully drained by the end of 2030.

Because your father died after his required beginning date for RMDs, the proposed regulations require you to take annual RMDs under the 10-year rule.  However, the IRS has waived through 2024 the penalty for not taking these beneficiary RMDs under the 10-year rule.

RMD waiver in 2020

Thank you.  Those are the assumptions I've been working under.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies