Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RMD's

My financial advisor forgot to have my annuity holder send my 2018 and 2019 RMD's. If I take both of those NOW, can I file an amended 2018 return and add the 2019 RMD to last year's income? Also what happens when the annuity holder sends a 1099 at the end of this year showing three years of RMD's for 2020?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

RMD's

No, you do not file an amended return for a missed RMD.  You report the RMDs when they are taken in 2020. 

For the 2018 and 2018 RMD amounts not taken by the deadline for that year's RMD you will be able to report the amounts from the total distribution that were for 2018 and 2019 RMDs.

Note that the missed 2018 and 2019 RMDs will be subject to a stiff penalty, calculated on Form 5329.  There is a provision in the Instructions for Form 5329 that allows for a waiver of this tax if you can show that any shortfall in the amount of distributions  was due to reasonable error and you are taking reasonable steps to remedy the shortfall. 

If you believe you qualify for this waiver relief, attach a statement of explanation and file Form 5329 as instructed in the Instructions for Form 5329 on page 8 under Waiver of tax.  TurboTax will guide you through the process.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

RMD's

No, you do not file an amended return for a missed RMD.  You report the RMDs when they are taken in 2020. 

For the 2018 and 2018 RMD amounts not taken by the deadline for that year's RMD you will be able to report the amounts from the total distribution that were for 2018 and 2019 RMDs.

Note that the missed 2018 and 2019 RMDs will be subject to a stiff penalty, calculated on Form 5329.  There is a provision in the Instructions for Form 5329 that allows for a waiver of this tax if you can show that any shortfall in the amount of distributions  was due to reasonable error and you are taking reasonable steps to remedy the shortfall. 

If you believe you qualify for this waiver relief, attach a statement of explanation and file Form 5329 as instructed in the Instructions for Form 5329 on page 8 under Waiver of tax.  TurboTax will guide you through the process.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
yarrums

RMD's

No RMD is required for 2019.  I have already filed my 2019 and want to return my RMD and transfer it to a Roth.

yarrums

RMD's

Tax laws for 2019 have changed and now do not require taking an RMD.  How do I get my RMD returned and the tax changed?

RMD's

I believed you can only waive the RMD for 2020.  Not 2019.  So you can skip taking it this year.  @dmertz  

yarrums

RMD's

thanks

dmertz
Level 15

RMD's

Correct.  Only RMDs required to be taken in 2020 are waived.  Except for a 2019 RMD taken in 2020 by someone reaching age 70½ in 2019, 2019 RMDs are unaffected.  Since the 2019 RMD was reportable on your 2019 tax return, it's apparent that it was taken in 2019 and is not permitted to be rolled over, so there it nothing to change regarding this distribution on your 2019 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies