Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ajbarak1972
Returning Member

RMD and 1099R overstatement - How to correct for 1023?

TIAA is bundling into this tax year 2023' 1099R the dollars that I withdrew back in Feb 2023 to apply to my first RMD tax year, 2022.  At the time, their staff assured me that their system would/could not tag my Feb withdrawal to tax year 2022.  So I filled out a 1099R for the transaction, and paid my taxes on the RMD income.

Now, for 2023's taxes I see that TIAA is reporting that 2022-allocated withdrawal on this years, 2023's 1099R.

How can I credit myself on 2023's return for this overstatement?  It is NOT an amendment to 2022's return. That was correct to let the IRS know that I had the extra income.

I am finishing my 2023 return.  Should I pull TIAA's 1099Rs, and use TTax to upload my own version of the "correct" reported figure?  I am uncomfortable with that.  Unlike last year's situation, the feds WILL get a 1099R from TIAA this year.

Put differently, TIAA's systems want to double report my apparent RMD income this year, 2023.   But I already correctly reported and paid tax on the income reportable for 2022.  How to fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

RMD and 1099R overstatement - How to correct for 1023?

There is nothing wrong with the Form 1099-R, no overstatement.  The entire amount shown on this form is taxable on your 2023 tax return.  No part of it was reportable on your 2022 tax return.  Regular distributions, including distributions of RMDs no matter what year the RMD is for, are reportable on the tax return for the year in which you received the distribution.

Although I don't know how you would have done it, since you apparently somehow reported as taxable income on your 2022 tax return the amount distributed in 2023 to satisfy your 2022 RMD, you'll need to amend your 2022 tax return to remove that income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies