Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cjl

Received late 1099-R post-filing, direct rollover (code G, not taxable), only figure in box 1 (gross dist.). Do I need to amend? There seems to be conflicting advice.

Straightforward - as discussed above, I received a 1099-R for a  rollover from IRA to IRA (code G).  The  gross distribution is reported but no other figure (I understand it is not taxable).  I received other similar 1099-R's for other rollovers this year that I did report, and none changed my tax situation but they were all accepted.  My return was already accepted and refund issued.

Do I need to file an amended return for this late 1099-R?  It seems there's  conflicting advice.   Several experts indicate that if it doesn't change your amount due or refund, there is no need to amend a return.  Others indicate the IRS "expects" to see the total amount even though it is not being taxed, and it therefore must be included (and by extension, should be amended).  Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Received late 1099-R post-filing, direct rollover (code G, not taxable), only figure in box 1 (gross dist.). Do I need to amend? There seems to be conflicting advice.

If it were me, I would wait. Normally, you should amend any substantive change. If you had not already filed, you would be advised to include it. Since it is a Code G, nothing will change on your 1040x. The figures will remain the same. Line 1 adjusted gross income will remain the same, since there is no column for nontaxable income as a 1040 would have.

An argument could be made to do it to get it out of the way and not have an iffy situation hanging over your head but you could also choose to see if you get an IRS letter, amend at that time, just to show that you complied and get the 1099-R into their hands. They do get a copy of the form themselves so they are aware of it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If it were me, I would wait. Normally, you should amend any substantive change. If you had not already filed, you would be advised to include it. Since it is a Code G, nothing will change on your 1040x. The figures will remain the same. Line 1 adjusted gross income will remain the same, since there is no column for nontaxable income as a 1040 would have.

An argument could be made to do it to get it out of the way and not have an iffy situation hanging over your head but you could also choose to see if you get an IRS letter, amend at that time, just to show that you complied and get the 1099-R into their hands. They do get a copy of the form themselves so they are aware of it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies