Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lvt2fly

TurboTax is asking if we use the Simplified method or General rule. We have a defined benefit pension. TurboTax is asking questions about our " annuity". Any thoughts?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

TurboTax is asking if we use the Simplified method or General rule. We have a defined benefit pension. TurboTax is asking questions about our " annuity". Any thoughts?

Pensions and annuities are taxed in pretty much the same way, so TurboTax asks questions about both with the same screens.

Just treat the word "annuity" as it were also "pension".

TT treats both pensions and annuities the same. this means that TT requires the completion of an annuity worksheet. a pension does not need this worksheet. In my case all the Gross distribution is taxable. How do I override or bypass the worksheet?

@elgringo13 wrote:

TT treats both pensions and annuities the same. this means that TT requires the completion of an annuity worksheet. a pension does not need this worksheet. In my case all the Gross distribution is taxable. How do I override or bypass the worksheet?

Delete the Form 1099-R and then re-enter manually to clear this problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies