Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JAG73

Turbo Taxes Estimated Quarterly Tax Calculation

How does 2019 Turbo Tax's calculation for Estimated Quarterly Tax handle Required Minimum Distributions (RMD's)? As I understand it, RMD's are not required for 2020. Not making the distribution significantly reduces my income for 2020.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
bvdavis

I have the same question -- Turbotax calculated an estimated tax that I should pay in 2020, but I will not be taking the RMD that I took in 2019, so my 2020 income will be much lower and I hope, therefore, that the estimated tax will be correspondingly smaller.  How can I recalculate the amount of estimated tax that I should pay in 2020?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Follow these steps to work through the calculations to re-do the 1040-ES, estimated tax payment vouchers so that they better match your personal situation and needs.

1. Login to TurboTax.com or open your TurboTax program.
  2. Click on Federal and then Other Tax Situations.
  3. Scroll down to Other Tax Forms and click on Show More.
  4. Click Start (or Revisit) beside "Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes."
  5. Answer No to the first question about Form W-4 and then click Prepare Now on the screen "Estimated Taxes for 2020." 
  6. On the next screen click Yes to begin the interview to customize the payments.

@bvdavis

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KRC1
Returning Member

Working on redoing est. tax for 2020 since no need to take RMD this year.  We are both retired.  In the W-4 Est. tax interview, I came to adjustments to income.  Do I enter the RMD amt. from last year (2019) as a negative number to remove it from income for 2020?  Also, then need to put somewhere that the tax paid from this distribution will not be paid in 2020.  These are both considerable sums.  Is there a phone number for support to speak with someone?

If turbotax estimates your estimated payments based on a RMD in 2019, you can reduce those payments if you are not going to take the RMD.

Figure 22% of the RMD divided by four, and subtract that amount from each estimated payment.

If you are in the 25% bracket, use 25% instead.

don't forget to factor in the custodians withholding amount, if any. 

Since there is only one more estimated payment due 1/15/2021  you can simply not make the last payment if you believe you have overpaid for 2020. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies