Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Removal of excess Roth contribution 1099-R form incorrect?

My husband made after-tax contribution in 2022 and in 2023 into his Roth IRA and removed all the excess contribution in 2023. He got 3 different 1099-R for 3 different removals. They have the codes PJ, J and 8J.  Because there removal were all only to fix the excess contribution, I think the form with the only code J is not correct. 

Should I go ahead and ask the custodian to correct it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should contact your custodian and ask for a correction if you requested the withdrawal of the 2022 excess contribution plus earning before October 16th, 2023.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

It depends, code J indicates a regular distribution and this would apply if you requested to remove the 2022 excess contribution after October 16th, 2023.

A 2023 Form 1099-R with code P and J indicates that you removed a 2022 excess contribution made in 2022 plus earnings in 2023 before the due date.

A 2023 Form 1099-R with code 8 and J indicates either that you removed a 2022 excess contribution made in 2023 plus earnings in 2023 (before the due date) or that you removed a 2023 excess contribution made in 2023 plus earnings in 2023.

"It depends, code J indicates a regular distribution and this would apply if you requested to remove the 2022 excess contribution after October 16th, 2023." 

All of the access removal happened before October 16th 2023, so I assume the 1099R from with the code J is not correct. Can I go back to the custodian and ask for correction?

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should contact your custodian and ask for a correction if you requested the withdrawal of the 2022 excess contribution plus earning before October 16th, 2023.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies