Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CS678

New York State TAx return - pension

Turbo tax is NOT GETTING IT.  There is a glitch for the NYS IT 201 form line 29 .  Line 26 is correct as it deducts your NY state pension as it should but then on line 29 for program deducts an additional $20k.  The program allows you to override BUT then you can not Efile which NY state demands.

Was on the phone for almost 4 hours today and the ladies I spoke to read the NYS regs with me and they get it but the minds behind the scenes don't get it.  I have to go out and purchase another software program so I can efile.  I have been a long time customer of turbo tax but NO longer.  How can they guarantee a correct return when they can't read a 3 sentence paragraph about line 29 on NYS IT 201 form.  The answer to that question for those receiving ONLY a NYS pension is NO and the regs simply state if you say NO you skip line 29 and go to 30.  This is not rocket science.

Very disappointed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MJH070858
Returning Member

Having the same issue.  Spent 3 hours talking to 3 different product support techs.  They understand the issue but couldn't provide a fix.   May pay to upgrade to the tax advisor option and see what they say.   If it's a bug I'll make a case for a product cost refund.   

IT-201 Line 9: $0 ; Line 10: $68K (My NYS pension amount from 1099-R box 2A) ; Line 26: same as line 10.  All good to this point but out of nowhere Line 29 is $20K.    

MJH070858
Returning Member

On the Federal return if I select: 

Retirement distributions from:
  • US Government (including military)
  • New York State and City Education
  • Certain public authorities
  • NYC Variable Supplemental Funds (VSF)
  • Certain annuity funds

Instead of: New York State and Local Retirement System 

then the IT-201 looks correct.   Not sure I'm going to file it yet.  Would rather have the bug fixed.  Guess is the  tax returns will be correct but he underlying worksheets may not be accurate. 

CS678

Hi there,

Yes I did discover that when I was going over line by line with a teacher who belongs to the NY State teacher retirement system and he was not having the issue.  So I did go ahead and click on the other option as you described and saw that the $20k was not longer an issue.

I am sure that many NY State employees will go ahead and file not even realizing the problem.  BUT Turbo tax "GUARANTEES" they are correct.  I am not sure that that means they will cough up the money people will owe nor compensate anyone for the extra time and aggravation this is causing but hopefully they will cover any interest or penalties.

After spending so much of my time trying to convince them that they were wrong, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in turbo tax.

Thanks for the info.

sdziarcak

Hello, first I'm seeing a different issue. In my case the software is not entering my nys pension on line 26. Instead it is treating the pension as a private pension and only allowing the 20,000 pension exclusion. Turbo tax offers 3 versions -- basic, deluxe, and premier.  I'm using the deluxe which makes me wonder if the error you describe is in the basic package.  The fix for this when a person only has a NYS pension and no deferred comp, 401k or IRA's is to go to view, select forms, scroll down the left and under ny individual double click on Ann Pen IRA wks. Check the box  qualifies for government exclusion. Scroll to the bottom of page 2 of the worksheet. If the 20,000 is still there, right click, select override, use the delete key to remove. This will make line 29 blank. You will be able to e-file because the override is not on the tax form it is on the worksheet and worksheets do not get sent with the return. Worksheets are for your eyes only.

As a note. Turbo Tax programmers may not see this an error because say someone has a 30,000 ny pension and 25,000 in deferred comp. The program should have 30,000 on line 26 and 20,000 on line 29 for that person.

For people having the other problem (26 is blank and 20,000 on line 29) if you only have a NY pension checking the box  will enter the pension on line 26 and remove the 20,000 on line 29. For those who also have deferred comp or IRA'S, It's a little different. Scroll to page 2 of the worksheet, check the box on line 1c; one line 2b enter the amount of the nys pension. If you're entitled to the full 20,000 on line 29 you're done. If you're entitled to less than the 20,000 scroll to the bottom, right click, select override and type the amount. Example if your deferred comp is 15,000 then you need to enter 15,000 as the override amt.

Finally, I DO NOT work for Turbo Tax.

MJH070858
Returning Member

It would appear that TurboTax has made a modification on the: "Where is your distribution from?

Select the source of this distribution and enter any other New York information"  New York State and Local Governments no longer has a separate check box but is now included under:

Retirement distributions from:
  • US Government (including military)
  • New York State and City Education
  • Certain public authorities
  • NYC Variable Supplemental Funds (VSF)
  • Certain annuity funds
  • Other Pensions of New York State and Local Governments
sdziarcak

The New York State and Local Governments still is listed as a choice in the deluxe turbo tax software.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies