Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

luroch

In 2019 I contributed $6000 to Roth IRA. In 2020 (before filling 2019 taxes) I recharacterized it to Traditional IRA. My 2019 form included 8606. Do I need to amend it?

I don't recall how I answered TurboTax questions last year when doing my 2019 taxes, but it generated Form 8606 with $6,000 in Line 1, Line 3 and Line 14 (Part I). I had made no direct Traditional IRA contributions in 2019 or earlier, but my income would make it all nondeductible. It also generated an attachment which described the original Roth IRA contribution amount of $6000, and the amount transferred of $7522 (with earnings). Form 1040 did not show any amount in Line 4a or 4b, but it did show a "STMT" note referring to that attachment. Is this all correct?

In Jan of 2021 I got a 1099-R (distribution code R), and when answering Turbo Tax questions for my 2020 tax return I included that in the 'Income & Expenses' area, but it then tells me "it looks like you need to amend your 2019 return". Do I need to? If so, what change would I have to do in either form 8606 or form 1040?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

In 2019 I contributed $6000 to Roth IRA. In 2020 (before filling 2019 taxes) I recharacterized it to Traditional IRA. My 2019 form included 8606. Do I need to amend it?

No, you do not need to amend your 2019 return since you reported the recharacterization correctly on your 2019 return. You can ignore the Form 1099-R with code R. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to amend your 2019 return since you reported the recharacterization correctly on your 2019 return. You can ignore the Form 1099-R with code R. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies