turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received 2 1099-B forms for the same account - one was delivered in January 2020, the second in March 2020. Which should I use?

The first one (January) has an "A" in the 8949 box, the second (March) has an "X".  The amounts on both forms are the same - first one has a cost basis listed and the second one just has the net proceeds.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

I received 2 1099-B forms for the same account - one was delivered in January 2020, the second in March 2020. Which should I use?

Did the issuer of your 1099-B indicate that the second 1099-B was a "Corrected" 1099-B?  You may need to contact the issuer of your 1099-B to get clarification on why you received to 1099-B's for the same transaction.  

Code A indicates a short-term transaction for which the cost or other basis is being reported to the IRS. This code to report a transaction that the recipient will report on Schedule D (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), line 1a, or on Form 8949 with box A checked with totals being carried to Schedule D (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), line 1b.

Code X is used to report a transaction if  they cannot determine whether the recipient should check box B or box E on Form 8949 because the holding period is unknown. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The "Corrected" box is not checked - I will call the issuer and ask them why I received two forms.  Thanks for answering the question.

if you have two 1099-B, neither marked ( C ), you have two transactions as far as IRS is concerned.
That's not good.

If the sum of proceeds matches what you actually received, Never Mind.

You sold two lots.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies