turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fitzalan

I'm over 70 1/2 and have more than 1 IRA. I only take distribution from 1. How do I report about the other IRA (don't have 5498 yet) as relates to RMD?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I'm over 70 1/2 and have more than 1 IRA. I only take distribution from 1. How do I report about the other IRA (don't have 5498 yet) as relates to RMD?

it doesn't matter what IRA the money came from .

The total taken must add up to the RMD for the total value of your IRAs at the end of the year.
After that there's nothing  special to do.

Note: different rule for 401ks.

fitzalan

So, do I need to report the other IRA amount so they can calculate whether the RMD is enough?

No.

There's no place to report that (unless you are attaching Form 8606)

We're all on the honor system here.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can only report an IRA distribution in the online version of TurboTax. The distribution would be reported on form 1099-R.

If you made the proper RMD amount based on your investment in both funds, then you don't need to do anything further.

If you didn't take enough RMD, then you need to file form 5329, Part IX to report that. You can find that form in the desktop version of TurboTax. 

You should call your fund managers and ask them to help you determine what your RMD is.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies