turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have errors involving a 1099-B and Captial Assets Sales Worksheet where TurboTax is asking for info not on my 1099-DIV. Is this info required to file?

The 1099-DIV does not have details on the capital gains number.  It's asking for "date sold", "holding period", "date acquired", "cost or adjusted basis", "sales price", and "description of property". Do I have to go back to Edward Jones and ask for them, or can I bypass these "errors" somehow and go ahead and file?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I have errors involving a 1099-B and Captial Assets Sales Worksheet where TurboTax is asking for info not on my 1099-DIV. Is this info required to file?

Take a look at your copy of the Edward Jones statement and see if you have a section labeled Form 1099-B.  If so, the information being requested by TurboTax would be found in that section instead of Form 1099-DIV.  Form 1099-B reports sales of stocks or securities.

If you imported the document from Edward Jones, all of the information may not have populated correctly and is causing the errors.  If your copy of the Edward Jones statement does not have a Form 1099-B, then you can delete the incomplete entries to continue with your return.  But if there is a Form 1099-B section, then you can enter the information shown there.

Use the following steps to go to the Form 1099-B section of your return to either enter the information or delete the incomplete entries:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “1099-B” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here, including the dash) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-B
  • Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-B” link

If you still have a question about whether you should see a Form 1099-B section on your Edward Jones report, it would be a good idea to give them a call for clarification.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the details.  A live agent also gave me a more direct solution -- delete the worksheet.  That worked, too.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies