turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

berlindj

I already disclosed my IRA contribution on my W-2. Do I put the same information under tax credits information too?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I already disclosed my IRA contribution on my W-2. Do I put the same information under tax credits information too?

IRA contributions are not reported on a W-2.    W-2 box 12 contributions are employer plans such as 401(K) plans, that are NOT IRA's.     If on your W-2 then do not enter it ANYWHERE else.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

A 401(K), 403(B), and certain other employee sponsored plans that might be on your W-2, are completely different accounts from IRAs.  IRAs are controlled by different sections of the tax code and have some very different rules for contributions and withdrawals, and should never be confused with each other. A 401(k) is NOT an IRA. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies